2.5.1. Description of the file manager
Window of file manager consists of two independent panels. You can work in any of them.
- Path — the current directory, the contents of which are displayed in the file list. The desired path can be specified manually.
- Refresh button — refreshing the list of files for the current directory.
- "Upload files" — allows you to upload the selected files from the PC to the current directory. If you need to upload not individual files, but a whole directory, use either the folder upload button or archive — archive it on your PC (best in zip format), upload the archive to the hosting and unzip it through the context menu.
- "Upload folder" — allows you to upload the selected catalog. Attention! Currently empty directories are not loaded.
- "Upload files by link" — allows you to download files from a third-party server using a direct link.
- "File search" — allows you to search for files by name, content and age of the last change.
- "Open SSH" — opens SSH web client in a separate browser window. The working directory in the web client will be the current directory that was selected in the file manager.
- "Show folder size" — enables/disables counting and displaying directory sizes in the file list. Calculating sizes takes time, so it is recommended to enable it only when necessary. When the display is disabled, the file list will be displayed faster.
- "Show system files" — enables/disables the display of hidden system files and directories in the file list. These include directories
- "Bookmarks" — opens the list of added bookmarks.
- Checkbox — allows you to select or deselect files and directories.
- "Name" — the names of all files and directories in the current directory.
- "Type" — the file extension is displayed immediately after the name.
- "Size" — the size of each element. By default, sizes are displayed only for files. The size of the directory is calculated and displayed by clicking on the dash, a second click refreshes the information. You can enable permanent display of catalog sizes using the button in toolbar. Important! To reduce delays when navigating directories, their sizes are cached and the file list can be updated with a delay of up to 5 minutes.
- "Date" — date and time of the last change of the contents of a file or directory.
- "Permissions" — access rights to each of the files and directories.
File and directory names must be in UTF-8 encodingThe file manager works correctly only with files and directories whose names are encoded in UTF-8. List items with names in unsupported encodings are displayed with an exclamation mark icon, grayed out and unclickable. Similar situations can arise when, when loading via FTP client enforcement of UTF-8 was not enabled. A possible solution is to re-upload the files by configuring FTP client duly (instructions: FileZilla, Total Commander, WinSCP).
You can open any directory or file by clicking directly on the name or double-clicking. You can return to a higher level with a single click on the catalog.
.. (two dots).
For files, the opening action depends on their type and size:
- File with text content up to 5 MB — opens in build-in file editor.
- Image file — opens in the built-in viewer.
- Archive file in the format
zip- will open viewing the contents of the archive.
- Other files — the file will open in the editor as it is or an error will be displayed.
Selecting items in the list:
- Left-click — selects or deselects single elements. The previous selection will be reset.
- Click with the key pressed Shift — select group of elements.
- Click with the key pressed Ctrl — selects or deselects single elements without reset selection from other elements.
- "Create file" — creating an empty file in the current directory.
- "Create folder" — creating a directory in the current directory.
- "Paste" — paste copied or cut files or directories from the clipboard into the current directory.
- "Insert symlink" — creation symbolic link to a file or directory.
- "Add to bookmarks" — adding the current directory to bookmarks.
- "Open" — opening the selected file in the editor or switching to the selected directory.
- "Download" — downloading selected files and directories in the form of a zip archive.
- "Rename" — rename the selected file or directory.
- "Add to bookmarks" — adding the selected element to bookmarks. The item is active only when one element is selected.
- "Copy" — copying the selected files and directories to the clipboard for subsequent pasting.
- "Cut" — cutting the selected files and directories to the clipboard for subsequent pasting.
- "Create archive" — archive creation with selected files and directories.
- "Extract archive" — unpacking the selected archive.
- "Create symlink" — copying the path to the selected file or directory for subsequent creation symbolic link.
- "Permissions" — changing permissions for the selected file or directory.
- "Import database" — database import from a selected SQL dump.
- "Set password" — password protection of the directory on the site.
- "Remove password" — deleting the set password.
- "Properties" — view properties selected file or directory.
- "Delete" — removal of selected files and directories.
Context menu items are also duplicated as buttons in the block of actions.
- "Total items" — the total number of files and directories in the current directory.
- "Folders" — the number of directories in the current directory. If in toolbars the display of the size of directories is enabled, their total size will be displayed in brackets.
- "Files" — the number of files in the current directory. Their total size is displayed in brackets.
When the file list is not fully loaded, the symbol
+ is displayed after all values. Items are loaded automatically as you scroll through the list.
The block contains buttons that duplicate actions from context menu:
For each operation, the start time, end time, and execution time are displayed. Some operations can be interrupted using the gray button with a cross. Canceled or unsuccessful operations are displayed in red with an icon with an exclamation point.
- ↑ and ↓ — navigation through the list of files.
- ← and → — switch to left/right panel.
- Enter — open the selected file or directory.
- Backspace (on Mac devices, the key Delete) — return to the parent directory.
- F2 — rename the selected file or directory.
- Shift+↑ and Shift+↓ — select elements above/below.
- Ctrl+A — select all elements in the file list.
- Escape — reset selection.
- Ctrl+C — copy the selected elements to the clipboard.
- Ctrl+X — cut the selected elements to the clipboard.
- Ctrl+V — paste copied/cut elements into the current directory.
- Delete (on Mac devices — shortcut Fn+Delete) — delete selected elements.