2.5.1. Description of the file manager
Window filemanager consists of two independent panels. You can work in any of them.
At the top of the panel, information about the current location is displayed:
- Connection source and connection name — show the current connection source and allow him change.
- Way — the current directory, the contents of which are displayed in the file list. The desired path can be specified manually.
- Refresh button - updating the list of files for the current directory.
A toolbar with the following buttons is displayed below the top panel:
- "Upload files" — allows you to download the selected files from the PC to the current directory. If you need to download not individual files, but a whole catalog, use either the catalog download button or archive — archive it on a PC (best in zip format), upload the archive to the hosting and unzip it through the context menu.
- "Download catalog" - allows you to download the selected catalog. Attention! Currently empty directories are not loaded.
- "Upload files from the link" - allows you to download files from a third-party server using a direct link.
- "File search " — allows you to search for files by name, content and age of the last change.
- "Open SSH" — opens SSH web client in a separate browser window. The working directory in the web client will be the current directory that was selected in the file manager.
- "Show directory sizes and number of inodes" — enables/disables counting and displaying directory sizes and the number of inodes in the file list. Inodes are displayed instead of the date column. Size calculation takes time, so it is recommended to turn it on only when necessary. If display is disabled, the list of files will be displayed faster.
- "Show system files" — enables / disables the display of hidden system files and directories in the file list. These include directories
- "Bookmarks " — opens the list of added bookmarks.
List of files
The file list consists of several columns:
- Checkbox — allows you to select or deselect files and directories.
- "Name" - the names of all files and directories in the current directory.
- "Type" - the file extension is displayed immediately after the name.
- "The size" - the size of each element. By default, sizes are displayed only for files. The size of the directory is calculated and displayed by clicking on the dash, a second click refreshes the information. You can enable permanent display of catalog sizes using the button in toolbars. Important! To reduce delays when navigating directories, their sizes are cached and the file list can be updated with a delay of up to 5 minutes.
- "Date" — date and time of the last change of the contents of a file or directory.
- "Permissions" - access rights to each of the files and directories.
File and directory names must be in UTF-8 encodingThe file manager works correctly only with files and directories whose names are encoded in UTF-8. List items with names in unsupported encodings are displayed with an exclamation mark icon, grayed out and unclickable. Similar situations can arise when, when loading via FTPclient UTF-8 enforcement was not enabled. A possible solution is to redownload the files by configuring the FTP client properly (instructions: FileZilla, Total Commander, WinSCP).
You can open any directory or file by clicking directly on the name or double-clicking. You can return to a higher level with a single click on the catalog.
.. (two dots).
For files, the opening action depends on their type and size:
- File with text content up to 5 MB — opens in embedded file editor.
- Image file — opens in the built—in viewer.
- Archive file in the format
zip- will open viewing the contents of the archive.
- The rest of the files will be downloaded.
Selecting items in the list:
- Left—click — selects or deselects single elements. The previous selection at the same time dumped.
- Click with the key pressed Shift - highlights group elements.
- Click with the key pressed Ctrl - selects or deselects single elements without reset selection from other elements.
Context menu when clicking on an area without selected elements:
- "Create file" — creating an empty file in the current directory.
- "Create directory" — creating a directory in the current directory.
- "Paste" - Paste copied or cut files or directories from the clipboard into the current directory.
- "Insert symlink" - creation symbolic link to a file or directory.
- "Add to bookmarks" — adding the current directory to bookmarks.
Context menu when clicking on the selected elements:
- "Open" - opening the selected file in the editor or switching to the selected directory.
- "Download" - downloading selected files and directories in the form of a zip archive.
- "Rename" - rename the selected file or directory.
- "Add to bookmarks" — adding the selected item to bookmarks. The item is active only when one item is selected.
- "Copy" - copying the selected files and directories to the clipboard for subsequent pasting.
- "Cut" - cutting the selected files and directories to the clipboard for subsequent pasting.
- "Create archive" — archive creation with dedicated files and directories.
- "Extract archive" — unpacking the selected archive.
- "Create symlink" — copying the path to the selected file or directory for subsequent creation symbolic link.
- "Permissions" — changing access rights for the selected file or directory.
- "Import DB" — database import from a dedicated SQL dump.
- "Set password" — password protection of the directory on the site.
- "Remove password" — deleting the set password.
- "Properties" — view properties selected file or directory.
- "Delete" - removal of selected files and directories.
Context menu items are also duplicated as buttons in the block action.
The status bar is displayed at the bottom of the panel and contains the following information:
- "Total items" — the total number of files and directories in the current directory.
- "Catalogs" - the number of directories in the current directory. If in toolbars the display of the size of directories is turned on, their total volume will be displayed in brackets.
- "Files" - the number of files in the current directory. Their total volume is displayed in brackets.
When the file list is not fully loaded, the symbol is displayed after all values.
+... Items are loaded automatically as you scroll through the list.
The block contains buttons that duplicate actions from context menu:
The block displays the status of various operations:
For each operation, the start time, end time, and execution time are displayed. Some operations can be interrupted using the gray button with a cross. Canceled or unsuccessful operations are displayed in red with an icon with an exclamation point.
- ↑ and ↓ — navigation through the list of files.
- ← and → — switch to left / right panel.
- Enter — open the selected file or directory.
- Backspace (on Mac devices, the key Delete) — return to the parent directory.
- F2 — rename the selected file or directory.
- Shift+↑ and Shift+↓ — highlight items above / below.
- Ctrl+A — select all items in the file list.
- Escape — remove selection.
- Ctrl+C — copy the selected items to the clipboard.
- Ctrl+X — cut the selected elements to the clipboard.
- Ctrl+V — paste copied / cut elements into the current directory.
- Delete (on Mac devices — shortcuts Fn+Delete) — delete selected items.