126.96.36.199.4. Configuring Key Authentication in WinSCP
To set up key authentication, do the following:
- Generate a key pair in any of the ways.
- Add public key on the server.
- Convert the private key to the format
.ppkusing the utility PuTTYgen:
- In the menu, click "Conversions → Import key":
- Select the generated private key file
- Clickon "Save private key":
- If a warning appears stating that a passphrase is missing, click "Yes"to continue without it (or you can press "No"to go back and specify it):
- Save the resulting private key in a safe place.
- When setting up a connection via SFTP or SCP in WinSCP, instead of specifying a password, do the following:
- Clickon "Yet…":
- In chapter "SSH → Authentication" use the button with three dots to specify in the field "Private key file" path to the previously saved private key and click "OK":
- Check the connection.