3.2.4. .UA domain registration rules
To register a .UA domain, you must have a trademark (TM). Trademarks are registered by the State Enterprise «Ukrainian Institute of Intellectual Property» (Ukrpatent): the usual procedure takes about 2 years, the accelerated one - 9 months.
Registering a .UA domain is only possible if you have a registered trademark with the same name as the domain. This is a mandatory requirement.
- You need to register a .UA domain from an account registered to the owner of the TM. To register a domain from another account, between its owner and the owner of the TM must be concluded license agreement.
- In the account in the section «Personal data» in the tab «Personal information» the address must be filled.
- .UA domain registration is done on dedicated page.
- A .UA domain cannot be registered with an application number (usually looks like
m******), you need a fully registered TM.
- You can re-generate an invoice for registration only by contacting technical support.
Detailed information on TM registration and the specifics of .UA domain registration is presented in our blog:
- The .UA zone administrator is the company Ltd «Hostmaster».
- Registration rules domains in the .UA zone are the same for all registrars.
- You can register a .UA domain only if you have a registered and active (which has not expired) Ukrainian TM or international TM, which is subject to protection on the territory of Ukraine in accordance with the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks.
- The spelling of the domain name must match the display of the mark for goods and services for which the TM certificate has been issued... You can only omit some special charactersbut not individual letters or words. The order of the characters in the domain name must be preserved, the characters must be read in order from left to right and from top to bottom. You cannot add characters that are not on the sign.
- Domain names can only contain symbols of the Latin alphabet, except for special characters.
/and other, similar characters can be replaced by their English name or removed. If there are Cyrillic symbols on the TM logo, you should follow them transliteration.
- Domain registration in the .UA zone is possible only for one year, the subsequent renewal can already be made for a longer period.
Excerpt from the rules
Key points rulesdescribing the points listed above:
3.9. Delegation of a private second-level domain name in the .UA domain occurs only on condition that the registrant provides the Registrar, in legal relations between which there is an agreement on domain name registration, with the following documents:
3.9.1. for a domain name that is fully qualified, or its second-level component (before the character «.», but not including this mark), the spelling coincides with the Mark, which is protected on the territory of Ukraine in accordance with the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks – certified by the central executive authority that ensures the formation of state policy in the field of intellectual property, an extract from the Official Bulletin of the International Bureau of the World Intellectual Property Organization, confirming the fact of the international registration of the Mark and the fact of its legal protection on the territory of Ukraine;
3.9.2. for a domain name that is fully qualified, or its second-level component (before the character «.», but not including this mark), the spelling coincides with the Mark, for which the central executive body responsible for the formation of state policy in the field of intellectual property issued a certificate of Ukraine for a mark for goods and services – a properly certified copy of such certificate;
3.9.3. in the event that the registrant of a private second-level domain name is not directly the owner of a certificate of Ukraine for a mark for goods and services - certified by the central executive authority that ensures the formation of state policy in the field of intellectual property, publication in the official bulletin of information on the transfer of ownership of the Mark or issuance of a license to use the Mark.